My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mindsiview.wordpress.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Less Java Media Framework

After a few frustrating weeks spent playing with the Java Media Framework (JMF), I give up. It's not that the player doesn't work...it does. It's not that you can't stream files...you can. It's just too much trouble.

Tonight, I spent about 30 minutes installing Apple's Darwin Streaming Server (an open source implementation). It can be found here. The only drawback to Darwin is that it requires Perl. Since I'm running a Windows server, I chose the ActivePerl implementation found here. Over the next couple of days I'll provide a link to my streaming server so you can test it yourself.

Now for the reason I needed a streaming server in the first place. In my spare time I'm working on a little experiment involving Java, a microcontroller, servo motor, and a webcam. Assuming that everything works out like I think it will, you will be able to remotely control the webcam's direction via a web page. Why you ask? Because I can.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rick: I just found your blog through Michael Hyatt's new blog. My comment isn't specific to this Java post but more in general about your blog. Thanks for making an RSS feed available. That's a savvy choice on your part. And please extol the virtues of RSS to all the new Thomas Nelson bloggers who've recently set up their own blogs sans RSS or Atom feeds. They look like they'd be interesting to follow but too much reader effort required without RSS or Arom. Blogging minus syndicated feed = guaranteed obscurity.

Rick said...

Jim: thanks for the comments. Mike surprised me by listing my blog on the From Where I Sit blog. As far as RSS and Nelson bloggers, we're encouraging them to provide RSS feeds. We're developing/testing a Nelson blog aggregation site now. Should be launching it soon.

R.

Fondly called as 'Omee' said...

which micro controller are you planning to use for sound and image processing on java platform?

i am working on a project for blind people and i will be needing to use live (web) camera, image processing, and sound output in my microprocessor project in java.

Fondly called as 'Omee' said...

kindly email me your reply on omkar.nisal@gmail.com
thanks a lot!
:)

Technorati search