My blog has moved! Redirecting...

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://mindsiview.wordpress.com/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 09, 2005

Churches and Technology

Last night I read a CIO Insights article titled Megachurch Megatech. As a sometimes web designer for my church's praise and worship service site, I was intrigued by the technology being used at the larger churches. According to the article, there are an estimated 1800 megachurches. Some of these churches have technology budgets of over $1 million. At my church, we get excited over simple things like a new sound board, lcd projector, and the like. Just this year, we've added some streaming videos on our site...I'm still politicking for live streaming of Sunday services. What I wouldn't give for WiFi in my church. I wonder if the pastors in these megachurches get distracted by the clicking of keyboards as people surf the web on their laptops during the church service? Also, exactly what would people be using their laptops for during the service? Maybe they are setting the lineup for their fantasy sports teams.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some churches are already experimenting with these ideas. As for streaming, we have found in our own church that most people only watch 8 to 12 minutes of the sermon. Very few watch it in its entirety. This same statistic was collaborated by the sales rep with Nine Systems who hosts streaming for sites such as One Place, Focus on the Family, and Willowcreek. Hence, we are now moving towards downloadable media...mpg4 and mp3s. Streaming is great for short devotionals clips, presentations, testimonials, or highlights...but not for full length sermons. I hope other churches don't get caught by the sales pitch of providing your service online for those homebound people or those out sick. The true numbers tell the story.

Technorati search